There is a long list of items and foods commonly found in households that could be harmful to your pet. A few things we frequently get calls about include chocolate, grapes, pool chemicals, rat poison, anti-freeze and something you may not have thought of called xylitol. Xylitol (an artificial sweetener) is a lesser known but emerging threat that is very toxic to pets. It is most commonly found in some sugar free gum, mints and some forms of diphenhydramine (some Benadryl products and generic equivalents). It is important to note that dark chocolate is much more dangerous than milk chocolate, and the toxicity of chocolate depends on the amount ingested and the size of the dog.
You should contact your Veterinarian immediately if you suspect your pet has ingested anything mentioned on this list.